Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

Five ways to fix the "Monday blues"


Who the hell is that guy with the shotgun?

     WITH the family, we try our best to make Sunday night sort of "momentous." Whether it's watching movies or eating out, I grew up wanting to score a perfect 10 every Sunday night when it came to having some fun. It was my (our) way of trying to address the dreaded "disease" known as the Monday blues. I for one, didn't want waking up to the sound of the alarm clock. That, among a lot of other things as well, like:

     ...the sound of plates prepared outside for an early breakfast.
     ...the sound of people waking up people because some people are running late.
     ...the sound of toiling; drills and hammering done at a nearby construction site.

     I don't want to hear the sound of the telephone ringing, I don't want to hear the breeze come in through my door. I don't want to hear any footsteps either from humans or canines.

     ...The fact that I'm hearing these things mean that I have already been disturbed from my Sunday slumber. Yes! Here-comes-another-Monday.

     Forgive me if I sound a little cranky, I'm writing this on a Monday with the hopes that this serves as some mental therapy to get me back in a writing groove. I'm a little sloppy lately. This post right here, I see as some "sweat session" for my brains. I want to try weaving, ducking and practicing those punch lines.

     I'm not sure if there is a some scientific study out there to explain this psychological phenomenon of waking up at the wrong side of the bed on Mondays. Or how people feel a little bit down during the, first day of the working week. But whatever the case, here's a little personal suggestion how you can enjoy Mondays.

     (DISCLAIMER: I write this from a viewpoint of a working guy who works from Monday to Saturday, on a day shift.)


     #1: Make Sundays Special 
     
     I'll start with this one first. As I mentioned before starting this post, I personally love to end the week with a bang. I find it as a way to celebrate, or to reward one's self after the working week. You can go out with family or friends, eat somewhere, head on a road trip somewhere—it doesn't matter what you choose to do, just as long you enjoy it.  But please, don't party 'til the break of dawn if you're to report for work 7 the next morning. By ending the week happy, you'll probably sleep with a smile and wake up with one.


She's smiling while asleep. What kind of grass is this exactly?

     #2: Sleep Well

     I'm the type who can sleep anywhere. Really.
     Throw a few mats on the floor and I can doze off. One time on a trip in Bohol, I slept on the wooden floor with my backpack as a pillow and an unused towel for a blanket.

     ...But that was a Saturday night.  And I was out of town.  With a great itinerary the following day. So I may not have got up the next day all "happy" if it were a regular weekend at home.

     Point is, on a physical aspect, prep your body clock for a good night's sleep, thus, eliminating the chances of a cranky wake up call. After you do step #1, you might want to make sure your bed and bedroom is a miniature copy of heaven. Make sure you're in a place that's conducive for sleep and that your pillow, is "stiff neck-proof." Oh, you do not want to wake up for work with a stiff neck.

No. Way.

     #3: Get A Lot Of Sun On Mon

Ah. Yeah.
     Some scientific studies published state that people are more likely to be up and about with a little dose of sunshine.  It's good to start things on the right foot. So when Mondays come about, make sure you open your windows and allow the heat of the sun to brush against your cheeks to wake you up. That is if your room has any access to sunlight, whatsoever. 
     At work, some of us are stuck in the office, seated the whole day thus our exposure to sunlight is minimal. So try to walk out on breaks. Try to feel the sunlight on your face. Living in Cebu, we have the advantage of living in a city that's adorned with a tropical charm. Sure there are gloomy days when the rain clouds are out. But on a normal day? Embrace the heat and breathe in the good vibes.

     #4: Pick A Good Alarm Sound

     Some of us are natural masochists. While setting our alarm tones, we download an audio sample of a busy firetruck siren or an alarm that sounds like it went off because the Incredible Hulk is in the building.
     I understand the notion that some people need a little push in getting up. But the flip side is obvious; the first mood you'll be experiencing for the day is being annoyed. You're awake at the expense of a headache.
     Why not go for something, soothing? I know it beats the purpose of an "alarm" in the first place. But what about setting up a good song you like to wake you up?


"Wake Me Up Inside" 

     #5: Good Breakfast

     It's all connected if you've noticed. You party late, you sleep anywhere, a stupid alarm wakes you up,  you get up late and rush to the office. You totally skip breakfast.
     That may not be a bright idea. It has long been a belief that breakfast is one of the more important meals in the day. I believe almost everyone of us loves to eat. If there is a way you can have a good meal at the start of the day, chances are you'll love the next 8-12 hours that's coming.

Unless you're vegetarian, who wouldn't look forward to waking up?

     Just a little something before this post ends. Despite all the tips mentioned, it's good to have a do-list when you get up for Mondays. It's nice to end the day knowing you've ticked off a few items on the list. Getting Mondays right may set you up for the rest of the week. Be productive.

     There you have it guys! Would you have any more suggestions how you can skip the "Monday blues"? Let me know!


1 comment:

  1. Have a good meal the day before. Sunday is most people's cheat day. Eat in that restaurant that's been on your bucket list or if you're a frustrated chef, get those muscles at work in the kitchen to hone your skills. You never know when it may come in handy (like say, when you finally have a girlfriend/boyfriend). ;)

    Babe for Food - your BFF in Cebu dining! :)

    ReplyDelete