Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Shades and Sisig on a Saturday (Sunnies by Charlie, Cebu Launch)

     I've been to several media events. 

     Okay. Maybe lots of them already during all these years as a writer. Being involved with soft news primarily, I enjoy the perks of eating during work, or sometimes, eating for work. There's a big difference between the two, you know.

     But anyway, when it comes to these press things, I don't really want to mind the food. It's definitely not a snob thing, but I'm just a "zoom-in" kind of dude who prefers to get the work done first, then write the story asap after to avoid a clutter of unfulfilled articles with nagging deadlines.




     But last Feb.22, Saturday, there was this launch by independent eyewear and lifestyle brand Sunnies by Charlie, which I got an invite from BigSeed Marketing. For a second, I thought it was this new fast food place that served fried chicken. Ah, nope, that was something else, I was told. My bad.

     So I don't recall the event serving up chicken. But I do recall just walking in, minding my own business, shaking hands with friends, enjoying one glass--at this point--of white wine, while waiting for the event to start. (Early Bird mode-on). Food wasn't the priority, but the story was.

     Another thing I learned was, this wasn't just some new brand apparently. Fil-Brit commercial model and product endorser Georgina Wilson, was the brand's marketing director and is one of the proprietors as well. She runs the company together with her friends, finance director Eric Dee Jr.,  creative director Bea Soriano and operations director, Martine Cajucom.

     Now to be honest, I don't really follow the lives of showbiz personalities well as my other friends do. But I do try my best to appreciate these celebrities' works, if and when necessary. All I know was Georgina Wilson is one of the prettiest ladies in the country and I was going to verify the veracity of that statement personally.



Statement verified.

     So, the media launch by the way was held at The Northwing at SM City Cebu. This also marked the installment of the brand's sixth stall here in the Philippines and the first one outside of Metro Manila. Right at the upper ground floor in front of Kultura, Cebuanos can find the latest Sunnies By Charlie stall that offers quality eyewear with prices that start at P249. Not a bad deal for a pair of good shades if you ask me.


     I've browsed the product catalog and I must say, they've come up with a simple system to provide stylish shades for everyone. There's stuff for girls, and then there's stuff for the guys as well.
I think these are mostly for girls. But guys could check out the stall anyway if they want.
      I had the chance to chat with Georgina, (well more of like, formal interview) and she said that the reason Sunnies wanted to open here in Cebu was because that, Cebuano fashionistas were all requesting on the brand's official Instagram account that the brand be brought here. I think Cebuanos would enjoy the brand as well, much more that summer time is just around the corner. Beaches here we go! Plus, according to Georgina, expect one to open in Davao City real soon.


See? Just because you got them shades doesn't mean you need to stare at the sun.
A little "against-the-light" effect for good measure.
     
     Thanks to the organizers, I brought home a little token. I don't know what this model is, but my mom is crazy about this one. I just might give this to her, if she accepts. I think some of the brand's items are unisex anyway.


Nganung nindut man ni? Sunnies man.
     So the event apparently was some huge party where people could just enjoy, right? It didn't have like a start and end to it, which I found pretty cool anyway. Members of the media, bloggers and other VIPs and guests were present. After awhile passing the time with friends post-work, that buffet table at the corner seemed a little more inviting this time.

      "Miss, what's that right there?" I asked one of the servers what this particular dish was, that looked dumpling-like in nature. She then replied telling me it was sisig.

    (*If you don't know what sisig is, check this out.)

     Now, I find it a bit embarrassing that for a food writer, this is totally the first time I've heard or learned about the product. Is this a new product that was launched? Or has this been around for years now? Maybe it didn't get too much mainstream attention? I don't really know. AND WHY DID I JUST LEARN ABOUT THIS JUST NOW.

     But whatever the case, almost everything and anything sisig is great to me. So I got one piece--at this point--and tried it. *Cue in Handel's Messiah


Mesa's Sisig in a Pouch.
   
     It. Was. Glorious.

     It was pork sisig, but I think deep-fried while packed in a wanton wrapper. Okay, so it was a little greasy, yes. But it was tasty and crunchy at the same time. I think all the super models and beauty queens skipped this one out, so it left us guys with more pieces to enjoy (alright!). This is one rare pouch a man could fall in love with.

     By the end of the night, the scorecard probably went on something like this: 
(Quantity)


DINING SCORECARD (Estimate)
White Wine - 8
Red Wine - 1
Iced Tea - 1
Baked Tahong - 4
Sisig in a Pouch - 9

      Now before you judge me as one who drank and dined at work my brothers and sisters, know that the wineglass wasn't really filled to the brim--at least occasionally--and that tahong varies in sizes.

     But as for delighting at the combination of clear white wine and greasy crunchy sisig? Guilty as charged. But I've long repented and played a little basketball the day after to sweat the fats out.

     So that afternoon was that. I enjoyed the event that featured: a very popular commercial model, and superb pork pouches that should be just as popular. I will recreate this sisig invention at home for lunch. And then play basketball the day after.

     Thanks to BigSeed, Mesa, The Northwing and the whole Sunnies crew. It was pretty cool.

POSE. That's half of Noel's face, Joanna, Georgina Wilson, Fiona and myself.

     For more details about the brand: check this link.


     Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment